Friday, December 3, 2010

Take a Guess



















So what do you think these are? Go ahead take a guess.......

If you said pumpkin seeds think again. These are acorn squash seeds. Who knew that you could eat acorn squash seeds like pumpkin seeds! Actually you can eat all winter squash seeds if you want.

I was preparing some acorn squash to put in my chili and was feeling guilty about tossing the seeds. I decided to save them and let them soak in a salt water until I was able to bake them, which was about an hr. or so. I baked them in a preheated oven (350 degrees) for 20 minutes or until they're golden (stirring them after 10 min.). The results were a crunchy, salty, yummy goodness that I couldn't stop eating. Honestly I couldn't taste a difference between these and pumpkin seeds. I'm totally going to eat all the seeds from the winter squash that I have bought this year so far.

It feels good to have one less thing to throw out and to get more bang for my buck. There's definitely something satisfying about using as much as I can in things that I buy. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the skins.

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking the same thing yesterday after I cooked up my pumpkins. What could I do with the skins? And then I said 'I will have to ask Kristine, she will know.' Well when you do find out let me know. I was also wondering how the homemade deoterent is working for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must give something back to the earth for nourishment and fertility, so let it be the skins!

    ReplyDelete